Friday, January 29, 2016

Clouds

This week I was reminded of how important and influential music can be in our lives. I, myself, go through phases of listening to music a lot and rarely listening to any at all. But music never fails to convey a certain type of powerful emotion to me whenever I do listen. For the past two years or so, any time I have listened to Twenty One Pilots I think of my family back home. And it never ceases to amaze me how I can feel how I felt when I would listen to TOP with my family. Music is amazing that way!

This week in my media class we devoted a whole class period to discussing music. That class served as a reminder for how strong and powerful music can be. We were asked to think about a song that describes us at the end of class, and while I couldn't really think of a perfect song for that difficult question, it really made me want to listen to an old favorite of mine called Clouds by Zach Sobiech. I think I kept thinking of this one because I wish my life was more a reflection of this song than it actually is. Clouds is a bit of tear jerker for me sometimes because of the incredible reason this song came about....

In 2009 Zach, an incredible young man, was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. While he tried to fight the cancer for many years, in 2012 it was found in his lungs and pelvis. Zach was told he had a few months left to live. In that time, he pursued a dream of his to write a song, and with the help of several musicians, was able to produce one. He passed away on May 20, 2013 but left behind an amazing legacy and an extremely powerful and uplifting song. If you haven't heard Clouds, take this opportunity to do so now. The first is the original version he produced and the second is one my favorites as thousands of people gathered a year after he originally released the song to sing it in his memory.


Maybe this song can be as inspirational for you as it is for me!

3 comments:

  1. I cry every time I hear that song!! I had forgotten about it for awhile- thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry every time I hear that song!! I had forgotten about it for awhile- thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible story! It's amazing how much we connect with others through music. His legacy can't ever be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete