Saturday, January 23, 2016

Netflix.

I think in the first few weeks of this semester I went a little overboard with my Netflix watching. And I wasn’t really focusing on some things that I should have been. For example, I could have been doing homework. Or, our new apartment is quite the mess. We are still living out of suitcases and boxes! I definitely could have worked on that instead of watching a show. Anyways, on Monday of this week I set a goal to significantly lessen my Netflix time.  And, with all the times I thought of maybe watching an episode of NCIS, I started to wonder why I want Netflix on so frequently. What drives my desire to partake of this media?

I feel like a big part of my love for movies and television shows is my love for stories. I’ve always loved stories—any kind, really. Whether in the shape of books, movies, shows, plays, or musicals, I have always loved stories. I just get engrossed into the plot so quickly, and then I have a need to know what will happen. I’m one of those terrible people that pester others that have seen it or read it to tell me how it ends. Or, these days, I sometimes Google it. So there’s that factor (my huge love for stories).

Side Note:
{Because I loved stories, I used to read. All the time. I would start a book, and then I couldn’t force myself to put it down until I was done. However, knowing what a temptation and what a distraction books are for me, I decided to avoid pleasure reading when I came to college. And I have, quite remarkably, stuck to that decision for the past three years. But perhaps I replaced my reading urges with Netflix? It feels like that sometimes. Maybe I watch even more than I read because it is so much easier to excuse (“An episode is only 45 minutes!” kind of deal).}

But, back to why I have these urges. I think it ultimately comes down to wanting a distraction. I am a terrible procrastinator. And I am not very proud of that fact. But, it is true. If I can push something off until the last minute, I probably will. And Netflix had become my distraction. It used to be books in high school, but they have been replaced, for the time being, with good ol’ Netflix. I can just get sucked into a story and forget about the looming tasks ahead of me. Not really a good reason to be watching Netflix so much, but, alas, I feel like that is probably the root of my why.


That’s it for now, folks.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate! When I watch Netflix, it's almost ALWAYS so I can have a distraction from something else. Usually I watch Netflix when I should be cleaning or while my husband's working at home so I don't bug him. I agree, it is fun to get away from real life by completely obsessing over someone else's story. It's relaxing and sometimes, it even distracts me from feeling unproductive. Haha ;) Thank you for your post! I think a lot of us can relate to what you're feeling! I know I definitely can! Maybe I'll start distracting myself with something more productive! That's my goal for this week!

    ReplyDelete