Saturday, February 13, 2016

Taking A Break

I have a peculiar way of dealing with "not liking" the way shows or books or movies are going. When I say "not liking" I don't mean the content is bad or foul. Rather, I mean that I am frustrated with the storyline or just the certain point of the story and what it entails. There are just some times when I don't want to keep reading or watching so I stop. For the most part I do go back and finish watching or reading, but it usually takes me a while to feel ready about it. Kind of a hard thing to explain in words.

Anyways, the point of this post is that I have recently encountered this phenomenon in my life again. When NCIS was finally on Netflix, I was absolutely thrilled. I love that show. And I have really enjoyed watching the series straight through in order. However, I have reached a point where I know a character is about to leave for good. And I don't want this character to leave the show. And I also don't like the way it is happening. So I have taken a break, in the middle of an episode, from watching NCIS. Instead, I have decided to rewatch an old favorite of mine... "Life." So, here I am, a week later, still cruising through "Life" (get it?) and avoiding NCIS. It'll take me a while, but I know I will return to NCIS soon enough. It's too good of a show to stay away from for long.

I find it funny, or at least interesting, how media can produce such strong emotional reactions from us. It is just so easy to relate to, become attached to, and become emotionally invested in all types of media...especially stories. And for me, it results in this phenomenon of mine. But, I think that is the true magic and charm of media--and that is one of the reasons I love it so much.

That's it for now, folks.

2 comments:

  1. I can completely empathize with you on this. I once stopped reading a book series that I was really into for a period of several months because I was so mad at a stupid move one of the characters made one chapter into the third book. For me, that charm of media is the distraction from everyday life, and it is darn fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the emotional involvement with media is very interesting. I find it really funny how enveloped people have become, especially since the internet started forming chat rooms and fan pages. I think this phenomenon explains why using media as a form of therapy could be really successful. I'd think it be fascinating to see how analyzing tv shows helps teens improve their emotional regulation.

    ReplyDelete